Monday, September 24, 2012

September 27th Show : Artists : Chi Nguyen

CHI NGUYEN

Artist Statement 


Moving from Vietnam to America at the age of thirteen, my artworks are centered on the search for identity as a female and as an immigrant. In painting women of various ethnicities and age groups, I find a way to look at myself. Their portraits become mine, as I search for a common ground between all women by exploring our skin tones, our hair, and our body types.

I believe that the best way to get to know people is to draw them or to paint them in a short amount of time. For me, painting portraits speaks a certain volume; it creates a natural closeness, or relationship, between two people – the artist and the subject. I look closely at the person in front of me – not to paint accurately how they look like, but how they make me feel. I want to capture that urgency and excitement in getting to know someone by using big and organic brushstroke. Each shape, each color, and each line stand for her past, my present, and our future.

In doing this series, I keep a narration in my head. Every stroke and every color correspond to a phrase, a line, syntax, or a climax in the story. It is an endless narration that pulls the lives of these four women together – regardless of their consciousness to its existence. In painting them – abstract or otherwise, I see myself and I see the common denominator that ties us all together. Regardless of how small the bond is, our lives are connected at one singular point – through the narration of these paintings.

I often write in the background of each painting a short, fictional story – a rant, perhaps – written about the woman sitting or standing in front of me. Throughout the whole process, it is the fictional character that I paint, even though the facial expression and the mood are based on the model herself. Much of the text is then covered with paint, leaving behind incoherent phrases or no phrases at all. This story, like much else in life, will remain unknown – if not, forgotten. For me, it is not important that the text is legible, or even visible. It is important, however, that the viewers can create their own stories or their own conversations with the subjects from looking at the paintings.

My reason for choosing a similar palate within all of the paintings is to bridge the racial differences among all of the women, and to bring about a common ground between all of them. I want to emphasize the idea that we see ourselves in each other – as humans and as women. We each have our own lives and our own struggles, but during a brief moment in time, we are able to see each other without any barriers.  

 Images of Work 























No comments:

Post a Comment