Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 12th Opening Show Artists

So here are some of the artists who will be showing at Loft 594 July 12th!
More artists to come...

David Graham

Artist Statement

"When I was a child the one movie I remember watching that really stuck with me was "The Shining." Sure this may have been damaging to my little mind but I see it as a benefit, without it I could never create my art. 


I like to think of my work as an old children's movie. Movies like "Labyrinth," or "Return to Oz," where it is meant for kids but visually its extremely disturbing. My work is based off fascination, whatever intrigues me I need to create something out of it. I never want to make my work obviously depressing, I strive to make it a fantastic nightmare. Combining horrible themes like celebrity death, cults, murders, suicides, imaginary friends, beloved cultural icons, tragedies and anything else that strives my fancy, my work always provides some kind of disturbing entertainment. All I can really say is to enjoy the horror that comes out of my mind."

Check out his work at : www.thedavidgrahamcollection.com


Christine Ruberti 

Artist Statement

"My paintings reflect the way a person interacts with their environment, and how they perceive the world around them through a subjective lens. Human experience can be expressed through a glance, a shadow, a tree, a space.  These images serve as a container that holds emotion, memories, and perception. I indulge in how I want to see the world, rather than accepting it for it what it is. I allow my ideals to take control while abandoning obligation, and reason. A fantasy can play itself out, without consequences or regard.


I use various mediums to control the texture and thinness of the paint, thus controlling the atmosphere through washes and layers. Oil paint is versatile; allowing me to manipulate the images into what I want them to be, while accepting mistakes and unplanned moments. In my process, I abandon thoughts of the past and the future, and exist in the here-and-now.


Through my process, I continue to make choices on which details are important, while letting go of the ones that aren’t. Each day, I feel less obligated to include every line, shadow, and color that exists in concrete reality. The painting is still a reaction and expression of my environment, but changes and becomes something else. My paintings are reactions to images that exist in the private and public world." 

Here are images of some of her work.
























John Papastathis

Artist Biography 

"My name is John Papas and I live in Nyack, NY. About 10 years ago I quit the corporate world in order to follow my creative drives, working in fine art photography and experimenting with digital art. I am self taught and it took a long time to build the confidence to start getting my portfolio out late last year. Since then I have been overwhelmed by the response from the galleries and have been exhibiting widely around the Hudson Valley. Connenticut and NYC." 

Artist Statement

"I work primarily in black and white and sepia tones, because for me they seem to create a more dramatic effect, though I do enjoy playing with color. People have described my black and white work as anywhere from haunting and ethereal to gothic and my color pictures as somewhat more whimsical. I, however, find it difficult to classify these personal visions since they live in a realm that the poet Rilke states exists only, “where silence reigns”. What I look for in a shot is a sense of mystery that invites the viewer to ask questions like; “What’s going on behind those curtained windows? What awaits at the top of those stairs?”. And, perhaps, create their own stories to accompany the images.

Also, I hope to achieve a sense of awe with my work. Again, in the words of Rilke, 
"Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels' hierarchies?
and even if one of them pressed me suddenly against his heart:
I would be consumed in that overwhelming existence.
For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us."

Here are some images of his work. 

























Check out more of his work at : www.jpfineartphotography.webs.com




Stephen Vellecca 

Artist Statement


"I was born and raised in NY and my passion for photography started when my boss, a journalist in the 1970s left me her vintage Canon Ae-1 self wind, 35mm camera.  For years, I would practice taking photos and eventually taught myself about light, exposure and the art of photography.
Through the years, after I felt I had "learned the hard way" I made the jump to digital.  Digital definitely made it easier because at a touch of a finger, all the bad photos vanished just as fast as they were taken.  But...I realized months would go by and when I would eventually download the files, the emotion and motivation behind the photo had dissipated.

Finally, I made the transition to the Iphone (gasp) and now photograph 100% of my body of work utilizing the 4s and my favorite editing app.  I too wrestled with the notion that the same mechanism that houses angry birds can be utilized to make art.
But can stevie nicks still write a great song using a computer instead of a paper and pen?  Of course she can...

What I realized was that the iphone was not about convenience but the ability for me to connect my eye, mind, soul and heart to capture and preserve a scene instantaneously...as I imagined it at that moment.  For this reason, the majority of my photos focus on Americana, Vintage, Classic American Autos, Small Town America, Beach Towns or emotion evoking scenes like sunsets and my biggest inspiration, NYC.

My dream is that my photography captures people's attention, makes them think, smile or discuss with a friend what they feel is the story being told.  After all, isn't that what art is all about?"

Here are some images of his work. 









































Check out more of his work at : www.svelleccaimagery.com








No comments:

Post a Comment