Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Alphonse Lane : Showing work this Thursday at Loft594!

Alphonse Lane 


Artist Statement


My process starts upon selection of my materials, I purchase 300# Cold pressed Water Color Paper or canvass or panel and I conceptionize what I am endeavoring to do. The next step is to tear the paper or produce the surface into the proportions required. Then, I draw and when the drawing is complete I turn away from it and return at a later date as I desire “fresh eyes”. After that the next intervals of time are spent working with two of my greatest strengths color and design. With over 100 different colors my approach is three fold. I work with direct color, applied color and mixed color, until the final stage of bringing out the color is acquired then the design is complete.

What I produce transcends the manner of direct emblematic drawing of form, in doing so these drawings mimic reality and figurative approaches to representational visual seeing. The paintings are meant to convey an image of thought. They appear to gesture that which they are titled by name and attempt to represent.

In acquiring a blank paper or canvass or panel; I study the open field till I am driven to touch pencil to paper. I descend at once. The first grains of Graphite are driven into the threads of the pulp of paper the die is cast. I am moved to design and “listen” to the structure as I compose. The painting becomes lyrical with sound and then rhythm and harmony appear. As the viewer studies the picture the weight the mass of the image becomes prevalent. As I draw I give visual meaning and identity to the work.

It took me years of study to reach this level of acquired vision. The Process of finalization came about by going down a “Trail” of thought in art and finding a spur to go forward into for perhaps 10% of my efforts. By taking that final step of 10% of several “Paths” and working congruently I arrived at this method of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment