Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cecilia Suhr

Cecilia Suhr 


Artist Statement


My artistry rests upon a tripod of relationships between sound, digital art, and theory.  On one hand, my artistic work is about social and cultural critique, while on the other hand, it is about aesthetic expression, often targeting transgressive thinking.  My digital art and sound design are interconnected, enhancing the sensory experience through sight and sound interaction. The theoretical aspects also play a critical role in my artistry as I often try to express non-rational thinking through symbolic communication. Through my artistry, I allow thoughts to delimit themselves and boundaries to be crossed.  Much of my work expresses the beauty of irrationality and paradoxical concepts, while promoting alterity in thoughts and feelings. My artistic works are often characterized as simultaneously conceptual and non-conceptual, rational and irrational, logical and illogical. The paradox present in dichotomous concepts often becomes a foundation and inspiration for my work. Because I am a musician/composer as well as a digital artist, moving artwork is a medium that allows me to tap into a different communication channel.  Through moving art, I like to explore the actual or potential dichotomy. Between what is actually seen and potentially captured, there lies a third space; in that space, each viewer/listener takes away a snapshot of “life” from the artwork. Such moments invoke a life of their own. Therefore, although I often have a theoretical description for my moving art, I also like to leave room for a multiplicity of subjectivities. 

Some images of Cecilia's work






No comments:

Post a Comment